By Steven L. Arxer,Maria del Puy Ciriza,Marco Shappeck
This specified account of English language acquisition via Latino elders shines intimate mild at the more and more complicated matters of getting older immigrant minority populations. wealthy qualitative findings aspect sociocultural obstacles to and social and emotive elements that advertise moment language acquisition in older age. The book’s case examine highlights various cognitive and social approaches as elders determine a feeling of self as beginners and as a part of a studying group, and a feeling of position as novices navigating a hard setting. And first-person reviews from the crowd contributors deftly illustrate the intricacies of being an immigrant in a speedily altering the United States in addition to the myriad intersections of race/ethnicity, gender, tradition, and state that form immigrant life.
Included within the coverage:
- Minority getting older in an immigrant context.
- Late-life moment language acquisition: cognitive and psycholinguistic adjustments, demanding situations, and opportunities.
- Building feelings for self-identity and learning.
- Practicing secure language socialization in inner most and public spaces.
- Language resocialization and gender allies.
- Aging, moment language acquisition, and health.
Aging in a moment Language gives scientific social employees, gerontologists, overall healthiness and cross-cultural psychologists, sociologists, educators and different execs deep insights into the lives of an rising energetic elder inhabitants. It additionally pinpoints demanding situations and possibilities in study, literacy software layout, pedagogy, medical outreach, schooling coverage, and repair supply to immigrant elders.
Read or Download Aging in a Second Language: A Case Study of Aging, Immigration, and an English Learner Speech Community (International Perspectives on Aging) PDF
Similar social psychology & interactions books
Sozialpsychologische Fragestellungen sind allgegenwärtig: Gesellt sich gleich und gleich oder ziehen sich Gegensätze an? Treffen Einzelne oder Gruppen die besseren Entscheidungen? Wie wirkt Dampfablassen auf competitive Impulse? Die sozialpsychologische Forschung hat viele Antworten auf diese und andere Fragestellungen gefunden.
- How do subconscious motivational wishes (i. e. , implicit reasons) impact physiological, cognitive, affective, and behavioral responses to incentives? - How can implicit factors be measured? - How are they formed by means of tradition, how do they impact political and societal procedures? - Why are they typically mismatched with the categorical ideals humans have approximately their motivational wishes and what are the implications of such mismatches?
Regardless of its noticeable merits, our skill to be self-reflective comes at a excessive rate. Few humans observe how profoundly their lives are suffering from self-reflection or how usually internal chatter interferes with their good fortune, pollutes their relationships with others, and undermines their happiness.
This publication examines human psychology and behaviour during the lens of contemporary evolutionary psychology. Evolutionary Psychology: The Ne w technological know-how of the brain, 5/e offers scholars with the conceptual instruments of evolutionary psychology, and applies them to empirical study at the human brain. content material themes are logically arrayed, beginning with demanding situations of survival, mating, parenting, and kinship; after which progressing to demanding situations of workforce residing, together with cooperation, aggression, sexual clash, and standing, status, and social hierarchies.
Extra resources for Aging in a Second Language: A Case Study of Aging, Immigration, and an English Learner Speech Community (International Perspectives on Aging)
Aging in a Second Language: A Case Study of Aging, Immigration, and an English Learner Speech Community (International Perspectives on Aging) by Steven L. Arxer,Maria del Puy Ciriza,Marco Shappeck